As one of the most favored e-commerce platforms nowadays, Magento endeavors to enhance its functionality with upgrades on a quarterly basis, which results in higher satisfaction of both merchants and shoppers. The thing is that it’s just true for the case of Magento 2. For Magento 1, there have been just poor security patches and absolutely no new features for such a long time. That’s why the majority of e-commerce stores are planning for their Magento migration on this year. In this article, I will suggest eight essential tips to help all store owners to migrate their websites from Magento 1 to 2 successfully with less effort. Let’s figure out now!
- Identify The Right Strategies For Your Magento Migration Project
There are various solutions to implement your Magento 2 migration process. You can do it yourself, in case that you have strong technical knowledge and experience. On the flip side, you can hire in-house developers to carry out the work and keep them stay after your project ends to support the website performance.
However, the best solution might be looking for a reliable Magento development company to migrate your site from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
There are three major reasons for that. Firstly, you will have your product conducted by dedicated developers who have the wealth of expertise in Magento migration. As a result, you don’t need to worry about the quality of your project. Secondly, besides the development cost paid for the company, you don’t need to concern about recruitment fee, monthly wages or other welfare due to hiring external employees. Thirdly, you will have more time to focus on other pivotal works such as business management, sales and marketing, product research and so on.
Therefore, you should consider your own abilities and current resources to decide to whether migrate Magento 1 to 2 yourself, take advantages of your human resources or work with an external website development firm.
- Gain The Right Knowledge Of Magento 2 Migration
Before moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2, or doing anything, apparently you have to know what you are doing, in other words, understand about it.
There are many ways that you can collect useful information about Magento 1 to 2 migration, for example: browsing on the search engines, asking on question-and-answer websites, seeking advice from the experts, joining Magento forums and so on.
At least you must know what is involved in the migration process and some important things to keep in mind at each phase of the process. For example:
- In general, a migration to Magento 2often includes theme migration, extension migration, data migration, custom function migration, and new site configuration.
- It’s impossible to move the current Magento 1 theme and modules to Magento 2 due to code conflict, which means you have to buy a new theme and modules if you want to maintain the existing functionalities.
- In addition, to apply a ready-made theme for Magento 2, you can re-build the current template by cloning method or create a unique design from scratch.
- We can migrate everything or just fundamental parts to the new website such as catalogs (products), customers, sales (orders, invoices) by using Magento data migration tool. if your data migration process is not carried out by the professionals, there is a high possibility of losing crucial information with associated serious consequences.
- In the new Magento 2 website, you have to configure currencies, languages, email templates, shipping, and payment methods, and CMS pages, etc.
- Prepare The Right Budget To Carry Out The Migration
Obviously, Magento migration from 1 to 2 comes at a cost. Many small e-businesses even have to save their budget within a year to prepare for their Magento 2 upgrade plan.
In order to know how much it costs to migrate Magento 1 to 2, first you need to define the requirements for your project and make some estimations, for instance:
- Theme migration: If you buy a ready-to-use Magento 2 theme, it would cost from $80-150, not including the fee for installation and customization. On the other hand, if you want to clone your current design, depending on its complexity that it will take you from 1 month or more for the theme migration. Hence, you will be charged an amount that equals the total time (in hours) multiples the hourly rate of the developers.
- Extension migration: The prices of Magento 2 migration modules are varied, which can be free or up to $1,000 for complicated extensions. Therefore, let’s list all of the plugins you need to migrate to Magento 2, find the replacements and calculate related costs. Not yet, you have to anticipate the installation and customization fee (if any).
- Besides the cost of theme and extensions (temporarily called “materials fee”), the major amount of your budget will be spent on hiring the Magento development company. Therefore, there are 2 ways. First, you will determine the largest possible amount that you can invest in your migration project and then a proper agency whose offered price suits your budget. Second, you will look for a reputable company, ask for its quotation, and then prepare your budget.
It’s worth noting that you should not “put all your eggs in one basket” – spend almost all of your budget into Magento 2 migration. It’s true that the upgrade can contribute to later greater revenue and profits, but you also need to invest in SEO, sales and marketing and so on. There are some tips for migrating Magento 1 to 2 while your financial ability is not great that I will suggest in the next part.
- Choose The Right Magento Migration Service Provider
This part will decide whether your Magento migration project would be successful or not. Here is my advice to help you find an ideal Magento development agency:
- Asking for the experience of your considered Magento migration service providers.
- Asking for their company profiles/ portfolios that show their recent Magento 2 migration projects.
- Asking for their quotation as well as the proposals/ plans for your projects.
- Asking for their support service after the project is done.
- Asking for their possible ways of communication.
Owing to that, you will know whether they have enough expertise to deploy your Magento migration project, how they will handle your requirements, whether they provide a good after-service support, and how you can communicate with them during the development process.
More importantly, you can know the agencies’ price and whether your budget can satisfy that range.
Another tip is that if you are running a small to medium businesses with a limited budget, why don’t you consider working with offshore Magento development companies in Asia (e.g.: Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, India). There are plenty of prestigious agencies in Asian countries, for example,is one of the most trusted Magento migration service providers, who have more than 5 years of experience in Magento e-commerce. Moreover, they offer very competitive pricing for migration projects (starting from just $2,000). Furthermore, they provide 3 months of free support after completing your project.
On the contrary, if you prefer hiring Magento development agencies in the US, UK, you will be charged at least $15,000 for a simple migration project, not including the fee for maintenance and support.
- SelectThe Right Time To Start The Migration Process
You might not know that Magento 2 migration can affect your current website performance (slow the web speed down). Therefore, it’s better to carry out the migration when your store is on the low-sale seasons, to minimize its effect on the customers’ shopping experience.
Moreover, thanks to that you will have more time for supporting the developers as well as following their work.
- Have The Right Plan For Magento Migration
After having the right strategy, prepare your knowledge and budget, choose the right Magento migration service provider, and pick the right time for carrying out your Magento 2 migration process, let’s craft everything in a comprehensive plan.
Then, you can share your plan with your employees, your selected agency/ developers who are involved in the migration project. As a consequence, everyone will know what will be done, their responsibilities and how to measure the final results. It’s worth noting that you need to specify project milestones and deadlines, and expected date for the site to go live.
- Have The Right Care Approach For Your Project
Even when you hired the best Magento migration service provider in the e-commerce industry, it’s still necessary to follow and supervise their work. Why?
Sometimes, the developers cannot fully understand your list of requirements, therefore, you need to provide them with details and support whenever they need. Additionally, you can ask for discussion when there are some things that are in the wrong track in order to make timely adjustments.
Another case is that your Magento agency might take on a lot of projects at the same time and not prioritize your project, so what you need to do is communicating with them regularly, asking for your project progress, and boost them to finishing the work.
- Give The Right Message To Your Customers
As I have mentioned before, the migration might make your current web speed slower; hence, you should send a message to your customers about the Magento migration from 1 to 2 and ask for their sympathy.
might be a simple or complicated process, it’s absolutely up to you. If you can apply my tips: Right Strategy – Right Knowledge – Right Budget – Right Magento migration service provider – Right Time – Right Plan – Right Message, the success would be on your hand!